Monday 16 May 2016

William Tell - Switzerland's National Hero of Liberty

I'm finding that when I research these coins I actually am learning more about the world than I ever knew before. Like the other day I learnt that Indians have different shaped coins because it's easy for illiterate people. Still can't get over how fantastic that idea was but anyway onto this coin.

1974 5 Franc from Switzerland. Not silver of course. 13.2 grams of copper-nickel. The chap on the right is a herdsman wearing a hooded shirt. Assimilated to William Tell. According to legend this is the man that shot an apple off his son's head.

If you want to read more into his legend there's a nice link below for you. Actually very interesting. As a British man I never knew he existed! This is so exciting.


My coin


William about to murder an apple!







No comments:

Post a Comment