Thursday 24 March 2016

The Coin That Made Me Start Collecting

Back in about 2014 (I think) Mum was having a clear out in her wardrobe and found an 1892 full sovereign. She knew it was there, but she hadn't seen it in ages! A few days went past and she told me she was going to sell it to a coin dealer! EY?! Stop right there! Selling a Gold 1892 coin to a DEALER?! I asked her how much the dealer had offered her and she said £150! So I bought it off her for £150 instead! She was pleased because it's staying in the family. I'll never sell it. It's a beautiful coin! It's not in mint condition and it does have some tiny tiny marks but it's one of those things that is worth more than the money!

This is the coin that got me interested in coin collecting! How can a small circular gold coin be worth so much money!? Or maybe I'm interested because it reminds me of treasure? Ha! Or just because it's so old and in smashing condition? All of these factors play a part! I'm going to do some more research on this sovereign and come back maybe in a few months with some updated knowledge!

I left the coin in its sleeve pocket (it's in my special folder) because I need to avoid touching it at all costs! It's unnecessary wear on the coin if you keep touching it, so I read on the internet anyway! You can tell I'm new to this!



No comments:

Post a Comment