Friday 15 April 2016

The Story Behind How I Obtained One Of My Oldest Coins

Today I thought I'd take a look through my first ever coin collecting folder filled with random world coins in absolutely no date order! I think it was around 2 years ago I set up my small mini folder and at the time I was just getting into coin collecting.

This coin has a little bit of a story. When Mum sold me her full sovereign I took to the internet looking for old coins in the local area. I typed 'old coins' into Gumtree (second hand site) and this coin came up. It was in my city and not too far away from me. The owner was selling it for £5! At the time I had no idea what value it really was, and still don't today! The fact that it was so old had me hooked! When I pulled up at his house I knocked on his door I was pretty skeptical at first. He was a young guy who didn't even collect coins, I asked him! He just said it was left by the previous person who lived in the flat. I handed him the £5 note and off I went, feeling like I'd found an amazing little piece of history! Simple as that!

Even today I'm looking at it and thinking wow, this coin is 199 years old and it's in my hand. Unbelievable.

George III 6 Pence Dated 1817





No comments:

Post a Comment